[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"BRINKLEY, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the county of Cambridge,
6 miles to the south of Newmarket, and 3 south-east of the Sixmile-Bottom station on
the Cambridge and Newmarket railway. The living is a rectory* in the
diocese of Ely, of the value of £241, in the patronage of the Master and
Fellows of St. John's College, Cambridge. The church is an old stone
building, with a tower and six bells, dedicated to St. Mary. The children
of the parish participate in the benefit of the free school at Hilton,
founded and endowed in 1729 by Mrs. March. There is also a National school.
Brinkley Hall is an old mansion, once the seat of the Stutevilles, and
subsequently a farmhouse."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham,
Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville.
It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway.
There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading
room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the
railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite
was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great
War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E.,
Six Mile Bottom main page."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- St. Mary's Church}, Brinkley.
- "The church of the Blessed Virgin, restored in 1874 by the rector and parishioners
at an expense of about £1,000, is a building of flint, consisting of chancel, nave,
aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 6 bells; the chancel
and nave are Decorated and the tower Perpendicular: there are 200 sittings. The register
dates from the year 1685."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's
Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Brinkley, Blessed Virgin:
The parish registers for baptisms 1684-1997, marriages 1686-1990, burials 1724-1996
and banns 1754-1809, 1828-1966 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts
of baptisms 1599-1851, marriages 1599-1838 and burials 1599-1851 are available in
the Cambridgeshire Archives. Parish register transcripts of Brinkley, Blessed Virgin,
1599-1851, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015