"BURROUGH GREEN, (or Burgh or Borough Green), a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the county of Cambridge, 6 miles to the south of Newmarket, its post town, and 22 from the Dullington station on the Cambridge and Newcastle railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £705, in the patronage of Charles Porcher, Esq. The church, an ancient stone building with a tower, is dedicated to St. Augustine. It contains several ancient monuments, and the register dates from 1570. There is an endowed school and a free school for infants. The manor belonged to Queen Editha, consort of Edward the Confessor, and the site of her palace is supposed to be indicated by a moat. At the time of the Norman survey a deer park existed here.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Augustine is an ancient structure of flint with stone dressings, in the Early English and Decorated styles, consisting of chancel, aisles, south porch and a western tower containing 5 bells, restored in 1710: in the north wall of the chancel are three richly ornamented arched recesses, one of which encloses the recumbent effigy of a knight armour with crossed legs; the next has also a male effigy with a female figure resting beside it; and the third encloses the effigy of a Norman knight, with another of a squire or attendant at the foot, unarmoured; another figure, female, has been removed to the west end of the church; the whole are mutilated and without dates or names, but are presumed to be the De Burgh family: the font is dated 1672, but the most ancient portions of the church probably date from the 13th century: the building was restored and the roof renewed in i878-90 at a coat of £725, and the organ restored in 1903 at a cost of £140: the church affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1571." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Burrough Green, St. Augustine: The parish registers for baptisms 1571-2003, marriages 1587-1988, burials 1571-1948 and banns 1755-1999 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Index transcripts of baptisms 1571-1840, marriages 1587-1637, 1653-1836 and burials 1571-1840 are available in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The indexed transcripts 1571-1840 of the registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1872 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
There is a guide to the Church which includes a list of Vicars, etc. on the Burrough Green website. (pdf document).
Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Mildenhall Wesleyan Circuit of which Burrough Green is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Burrough Green which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-1948.