Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"BURROUGH GREEN (or Borough Green) is parish and village 2½ miles south-east from Dullingham station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway and 6 south from Newmarket, in the hundred of Radfield, Newmarket union, petty sessional division and county court district, rural deanery of Cheveley, archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The Reading Room here was built in 1887 by the late Mrs Porcher, as a memorial to her husband, Charles Porcher esq.; it is in general use during the winter months, and will hold about 130 persons. The Old Hall (or Manor House), which stands near the church, is now a farmhouse. The soil is various; subsoil, clay and chalk. The chief crops are wheat, barley and roots. The area of the parish is 2,272 acres; the population in 1921 was 334."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]