"BURROUGH GREEN, (or Burgh or Borough Green), a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the county of Cambridge, 6 miles to the south of Newmarket, its post town, and 22 from the Dullington station on the Cambridge and Newcastle railway. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £705, in the patronage of Charles Porcher, Esq. The church, an ancient stone building with a tower, is dedicated to St. Augustine. It contains several ancient monuments, and the register dates from 1570. There is an endowed school and a free school for infants. The manor belonged to Queen Editha, consort of Edward the Confessor, and the site of her palace is supposed to be indicated by a moat. At the time of the Norman survey a deer park existed here.