We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.

Open a form to report problems or contribute information

1 Introduction 2 Message details 3 Upload file 4 Submitted

Help and advice for BURWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

If you have found a problem on this page then please report it on the following form. We will then do our best to fix it. If you are wanting advice then the best place to ask is on the area's specific email lists. All the information that we have is in the web pages, so please do not ask us to supply something that is not there. We are not able to offer a research service.

If you wish to report a problem, or contribute information, then do use the following form to tell us about it.

BURWELL: Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.

[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)

"BURWELL, (or Burwell St. Mary), a parish in the hundred of STAPLOE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (N. W. by W.) from Newmarket, containing 1518 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, with which the rectory of Burwell St. Andrew is consolidated, in the archdeaconry of Sudbury, and diocese of Norwich, rated jointly in the king's books at £ 50.14. 2., endowed with £ 200 royal bounty, arid in the patronage of the Earl of Guilford, on the nomination of the University of Cambridge. The church is a beautiful edifice, in the decorated style of English architecture: the rental of one hundred acres of arable land is appropriated for preserving it in repair. The church of St. Andrew has long been demolished, and the cemetery converted into pasture ground. The village consists principally of one irregular street, about three quarters of a mile long, the houses in which are built with a peculiar kind of stone obtained in quarries in the vicinity, in which pyrites and sharks' teeth; in good preservation, have been found. A great fair for horses is held, annually on Rogation-Monday, at Reach, once a market-town, now an insignificant hamlet, partly in this parish. A navigable cut extends from this place. Here are the ruins of a castle, surrounded by a moat; which was besieged in the war between Stephen and the Empress Matilda, by Geoffrey de Mandeville, Earl of Essex, who was shot by an arrow from the walls. The parish register contains the record of a melancholy event arising from a fire that broke out in a barn, in the evening of the 8th of September, 1727, whereby seventyeight persons, who had assembled to witness a puppetshow, lost their lives,- the mangled and half-consumed bodies of the sufferers were promiscuously interred in two pits, dug for them in the churchyard."

"REACH, a hamlet partly in the parish of BURWELL, hundred of STAPLOE, and partly in that of SWAFFHAM PRIOR, hundred of STAINE, county of CAMBRIDGE, 5 miles (W. N. W.) from Newmarket. The population is returned with the parishes. This was anciently a market town, to which ships of considerable burden had access before the draining of the fens; it had a church, which has long been'demolished. A large fair for horses, granted to the corporation of Cambridge by charter of King John, is still held here on Rogation Monday."

[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]