Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"CALDECOTE, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, in the county of Cambridge, 4 miles to the east of Caxton, and 8 west of Cambridge, its post town. It is watered by a branch of the river Cam. The living is a vicarage united with the rectory of Toft, in the diocese of Ely, of the joint value of £287, in the patronage of the Master and Follows of Christ's College, Cambridge; the impropriate tithes having been given by Picot de Cambridge to the monks of Barnwell. The church is dedicated to St. Michael. The register dates from 1728, previous to which year the church was a chapel to Bourn. There are charitable endowments worth £4 a year.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Michael, standing on a picturesque and woody bank, is a small but ancient building of stone in the Early Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and an embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the chancel retains a small crocketed niche, and in the south porch is a benatura: there are carved stalls in the chancel and a rood screen with traces of colour; the church was thoroughly repaired in 1860 and 1861, and affords 100 sittings; during the year 1899 the church was restored and several gifts made to it, including a small organ. The register dates from the year 1728." [Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- There is a description of the church on the Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Caldecote, St. Michael: Records of baptisms 1740-86, 1798-1972, marriages 1739-1969, burials 1740-1965 and banns for 1754-1812, 1827-41, 1871-92 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives, transcripts of the parish registers are available for the years 1662-1988, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list.The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1605-32 and 1660-1858 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Caldecote which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL345568 (Lat/Lon: 52.193002, -0.033682), Caldecote which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1767, 1798 on microfilm and 1806-32.