All Saints' church, opposite Jesus College, built in 1863-4, and consecrated Nov.30, 1864, is an edifice in the Early English style of the 14th century, consisting of chancel, nave, south aisle of equal size and an embattled tower at, the east end with a lofty spire and containing 3 bells the walls are decorated with rich diaper work and colour and bear suitable inscriptions: the stained east window designed by Mr. G. F. Bodley A.R.A., F.S.A. is a memorial to Everina Frances, widow of Sir Gilbert Affleck bart. and wife of the Rev. Dr. Whewell, master of Trinity College; she died 1 April, 1865: the old church, which stood opposite St. John's College, has been removed: there are 400 sittings, of which 150 are unappropriated. The old graveyard near the site of the former church has been inclosed and re-arranged, and contains a memorial cross designed by Mr. Basil Champneys, the architect of the adjacent Divinity Schools, and erected in 1880 in memory of various distinguished persons and benefactors of the
parish, whose names are inscribed on tablets round the base. The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £83, including 28 acres of glebe, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Charles Lawford Acland M.A. of that college."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge All Saints:
Records of baptisms 1538-1690, 1702-1973, marriages 1539-1973, burials 1539-1950,
and banns 1754-1973 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts
for the years 1599-1674, 1712-1837 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for all records for 1538-1702,
indexed transcripts also exist for baptisms 1538-1836 and marriages 1539-1837.
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1857-91,
1916 and 1922-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010