Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1618-1916 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list. A register of graves in Mill Road cemetery for the years 1848-1958 also exists.
"The church of St. Andrew the Great, in St. Andrew's street, opposite Christ's College,
is a modern building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel,
nave, aisles and an embattled western tower, with pinnacles, containing 8 bells:
in the church is a mural monument to Captain James Cook, the circumnavigator of the
world, d. 14 Feb. 1497; his son Hugh, of Christ's College, d. 1793; and to James
Cook, commander R.N. d. 25 Jan. 1794; the deaths of his son Nathaniel, midshipman
H.M.S. Thunderer," lost in a storm 16 Oct. 1780, and of three other children, who
died in their infancy, are also recorded; his widow Elizabeth, who died at Clapham,
13 May, 1835, was also buried here: there is also a mural tablet to Henry Gunning
esq. M.A. of Christ's College, upwards of 50 years Esquire Bedell in the University,
who died at Brighton in 1859; and a memorial to Christopher Rose, alderman, who rebuilt
the church in the 17th century, and died 30 Aug. 1664: the organ was re-opened after
enlargement on Sunday, 24 Dec. 1882, and choir stalls were added in 1895: there are
816 sittings, of which 167 are free. The register dates from the year 1564. The living
is a vicarage, net yearly value £225, including 36 acres of glebe, in the gift of
the Dean and Chapter of Ely, and held since 1891 by the Rev. Harry Smith M.A. of
Christ's College, Cambridge."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Andrew the Great:
Records of baptisms 1635-1984, marriages 1635-1984, burials 1635-1982, and banns
1754-1933 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the
years 1600-40, 1662-95, 1712-1858 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials
1635-1860 and marriages 1600-1860. Transcripts of the registers are available on
microfiche for the years 1600-1860 from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society bookstall.
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1864-91
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010