|Cambridge St Andrew the Less
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"CAMBRIDGE ST ANDREW THE LESS, a parish in the town of Cambridge."
"STOURBRIDGE, a chapelry in the parish of CAMBRIDGE ST-ANDREW-THE-LESS, or BARNWELL, hundred of FLENDISH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 1 mile (N. E. by N.) from Cambridge. This place is remarkable for its celebrated fair, one of the largest in the kingdom; it is held in a field to the eastward of Barnwell, and commences Sep tember 18th, on which day it is proclaimed by the viqeT chancellor, doctors, and proctors of the University of Cambridge, and by the mayor and aldermen of that borough, and continues more than three weeks: the staple commodities exposed for sale are, leather, timber, cheese, hops, wool, cattle, and, on the 25th, horses. The hospital of St. Mary Magdalene, for lepers, was anciently at the disposal of the burgesses of Cambridge; but, about 1245, Hugh, Bishop of Ely, possessed the patronage of it, which was also enjoyed by his successors, till, the suppression in 1497; its chapel, called St. Mary's chapel, has been converted into a barn."