CAMBRIDGE ST. ANDREW THE LESS
"CAMBRIDGE ST. ANDREW THE LESS, (otherwise Barnwell) a parish in the town of Cambridge.
"STOURBRIDGE, (or Sturbridge) a chapelry in the parish of Cambridge St. Andrew the Less, (or
Barnwell,) hundred of Flendish, county Cambridge, 1 mile north-east of Cambridge.
There are remains of the hospital of St. Mary Magdalen for lepers, the
chapel of which has been converted into a barn. It is chiefly noted for the
fair which commences on the 18th September, and lasts till the 7th October,
the opening of which is proclaimed by the vice-chancellor, doctors, and
proctors of the University of Cambridge, and by the mayor and aldermen; the
staple commodities exposed for sale are leather, timber, cheese, hops,
wool, and cattle, and on the 25th horses.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Andrew the Less, on the Newmarket road, formerly the parish church,
but now subordinated to Christ Church, is a small but ancient building of stone in
the Lancet style, consisting of chancel and nave under a single roof, south porch
and a western belfry containing one small bell: the eastern triplet is a very graceful
example of the style, and is adorned within with slender shafts and moulded arches:
in the church are many memorials and monumental inscriptions to the Butler family,
who once possessed the property: there are 220 sittings, 200 being free. The registers,
dating from 1753, are kept at Christ Church."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- There is further information and photographs of the Church on Ben and Mark's
Cambridgeshire Churches website.
- Church of England
- Cambridge St Andrew the Less:
Records of baptisms 1753-1947, marriages 1754-1957, burials 1754-1913, and banns
1754-88, 1824-88, 1899-1947 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Baptisms for the
years 1886-1904 reside in the Abbey Church. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years
1599-1639, 1661-91, 1702-29 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed
transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for Bishops Transcripts 1599-1640,
1661-92, 1703-30, baptisms 1753-1851, burials 1754-1851 and marriages 1599-1837.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1864-91
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014