"St. Benedict's church, in Benet street, adjoining Corpus Christi college, is a building of stone in the Early Norman, Early English and later styles, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and a western tower containing 6 bells: the tower, with its "long and short" masonry and baluster windows, is regarded as a Saxon work, and there are portions of similar work of the same period at the north-east and south-east angles of the nave: the church is connected with Corpus Christi college by a range of buildings carrying a gallery, which is now occupied as college rooms: the church was repaired and enlarged in 1856, and again during the period 1874-82, at a cost of £3,016, and affords about 350 sittings, of which 100 are free. The register dates from the year 1539, and records the burial, 12 Jan. 1630, of Thomas Hobson, the famous University carrier. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £60, including 23 acres of glebe, in the gift of Corpus Christi college, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Charles Peter Littlejohn M.A. of that college." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Benedict: Records of baptisms 1539-1925, marriages 1539-1984, burials 1539-1943, and banns 1754-1958 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1691, 1713-1847 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms, marriages and burials for the years 1539-1851. The parish registers 1539-1851 are available on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1864-91 and 1916-1948.