"St. Botolph's church, which stands on the east side of Trumpington street, is an ancient building, originally Norman, but now chiefly in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower, supported by massive angle buttresses and surmounted at the angles by four figures of lions, each holding a vane, and containing a clock and 4 bells: over the altar is a painting of " The Crucifixion," presented by Mr. John Smith, formerly University printer, who brought it from Antwerp: the east window was filled with stained glass in 1886, at the expense of the Rev. W. M. Campion D.D. late rector (1862-92), and late president of Queens' College, and there is a memorial window to Dr. Parkinson (d. 1890), erected by his widow: in the church is a monument, with half effigy, to Dr. Thomas Playfere, Margaret Professor of Divinity in the 16th century, d. 1609; and one to James Essex F.S.A. the architect, d.14 Sept. 1784: the church was restored during the period 1874-87, at a cost of £1,020, and affords 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1584. The living is a rectory, net yearly value £190, in the gift of Queens' College, and held since 1892 by the Rev. Claude Hermann Walter Johns M.A. of that college." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Botolph: Records of baptisms 1564-1853, marriages 1564-1837, burials 1564-1862, and banns 1754-1898 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1692, 1702, 1712-1847 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1564-1863, marriages 1564-1851, and burials 1564-1862. A further transcription exists for marriages at Queens' College chapel 1723-53. The parish registers 1564-1852 are available on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1857-91 and 1916-1948.