"St. Clement's church, in Bridge street, occupying the site of larger and more ancient structures, of which many traces remain, is an edifice consisting of chancel, nave, aisles and an embattled tower with spire containing 2 bells: the nave and aisles were rebuilt of rough stone in the early part of the 14th century and are in the Perpendicular style: the chancel, a structure of brick, was built in the reign of Queen Anne: the tower and spire were erected in 1821 by the representatives of the Rev. William Cole M.A., F.S.A. the celebrated antiquary, who died 16 Dec. 1782, and is buried beneath it; the inscription, "Deum Cole," on the outside, is said to have been placed there as an ingenious way of complying with his request that his name should be inscribed on the tower: in the church is a brass, dated 1432, and a large monumental stone with Lombardic characters: there was formerly a well-endowed chantry for two priests attached to the altar of St. Nicholas within this church, founded by William of Lollworth in 1325 for the souls of Edward II. and Queen Isabella, and divers other persons: all the ancient endowments have, however, long since disappeared. The church has been more or less restored at various times since 1863, and affords 400 sittings. The register dates from 1560, and there are also a few parish records, including a fragment of church wardens' accounts, temp. Eliz. and documents of genealogical interest. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £45, arising from 16 acres of glebe and various benefactions, in the gift of the Master and Fellows of Jesus College, and held since 1885 by the Rev. Edmund Gough De Salis Wood B.D. of Emmanuel College, and surrogate. The rectory and the rectorial titles and the right of patronage were given about 1198 to the prioress and nuns of the Benedictine priory of S. Rhadegunde, in Cambridge: the Master and Fellows of Jesus College are their successors in the rights of patronage and in the rectory the convent having been suppressed and converted by Bishop Alcock, of Ely, into a college in 1496." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Clement: Records of baptisms 1567-1882, marriages 1561-1837, burials 1560-1847, and banns 1754-1879 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives in addition photocopies exist for baptisms 1882-1992, marriages 1837-1987 and burials 1847-1986. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1641, 1662--1759, 1773-1837 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1567-1992, marriages 1561-1987 and burials 1560-1986. The parish registers 1560-1992 are available on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1857-91 and 1916-1948.