Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1568-1949 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and the cemetery, including St Peter for 1852-1987. The monumental inscriptions 1585-1860 are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
"The church of St. Giles, rebuilt in 1875-6 near the site of the old church in Castle street, at a cost of £8,000, is a structure of white brick, with stone dressings, in the Early French Gothic style, consisting of chancel, lofty nave with wagon roof 65 feet from the floor, aisles and a side chapel: in the south aisle is a Norman arch built from materials removed from the old church: there is one bell hung on the outside of the west wall of the nave, and above it is a clock: the church affords about 800 sittings, of which 500 are free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1596; marriages and burials, 1607; the registers of St. Peter's, dating from 1586, are also kept here. The living is a vicarage, with that of St. Peter annexed, joint net yearly value £290, in the gift of the Bishop of Ely and held since 1897 by the Rev. John Frank Buxton M.A. of Clare College, who resides at Chesterton." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Giles: Records of baptisms 1585-1969, marriages 1607-1974, burials 1607-1957, and banns 1755-1969 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1642, 1663-87, 1702-1835 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1585-1806, marriages 1599-1860 and burials 1609-1860.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1857-91 and 1916-1948.