"The church of St. Mary the Less, adjoining St. Peter' s College, in Trumpington street, is an ancient building of stone, in the Decorated style, supposed to have been designed by Alan de Walsingham, architect of the Lady chapel of Ely cathedral, and consists of chancel, nave and vestry: the east window is enriched with exquisite tracery and filled with stained glass, presented in 1892 by J Hamblin Smith esq.: the church was restored about 1856, under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott and further restoration was carried out in 1891 at a cost of £1,100: the ancient church of St. Peter, which stood on the same site until about 1325, gave its name to and was used as the chapel of St. Peter's College: the present edifice, dedicated 3 Nov. 1352, to St. Mary of Grace, continued to be so used until 1632: John Holbrook, a famous mathematician and master of Peter' s College. 1418-31, and Dr. Matthew Wren, Bishop of Ely, 1638-67, and previously Master of the College, were buried here there are 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £80, in the gift of St. Peter's College, and held since 1887 by the Rev. Andrew James Campbell Allen M.A. of that college. A parish room has been built at the west end of the church." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Mary the Less: Records of baptisms 1557-1842, marriages 1558-1944, burials 1557-1854, and banns 1754-1856 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1597-1674, 1702, 1712-1860 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1557-1890, marriages and burials for 1558-1890. The parish register transcripts for the years 1557-1890 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list (search)
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1864-91 and 1916-1941.