Monumental inscriptions in the churchyard for the years 1599-1851 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives
and are available, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Bookstall. A register of
graves in the Mill Road cemetery also exists for the years 1849-1906..
"St. Michael's church, in Trinity street, built in 1324 by Hervey de Stanton, is
an edifice in the Decorated style, consisting of chancel with aisles, nave, aisles,
north porch and a western tower, with plain parapet containing 4 bells: the chancel
retains triple sedilia and a piscina, and is fitted with ancient choir stalls of
oak: in the wall by the vestry door is a small and curious brass, and there is a
picture of King Charles I. presented by Charles II. at the Restoration, and another
of the Holy Family, a monument to Professor Scholefield and several other memorials
here was buried, in 1337, Hervey de Stanton, the founder of Michael House, the oldest
part of Trinity College and on 24 Nov. 1549, Paul Fagius, one of the Fathers of the
Reformation: the south aisle also has a piscina: the chancel and aisles were decorated
under the direction of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A.: there are 300 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1538. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value
from 25 acres of glebe and grant from Trinity College about £140, in the gift of
Trinity College, and held since 1896 by the Rev. Arthur Hennel Simms M.A. of that
college: there is no vicarage house."
[Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Cambridge St Michael:
Records of baptisms 1538-1913, marriages 1539-2008, burials 1539-1948, and banns
1754-1913 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the
years 1600-42, 1662-82, 1712-1869 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the parish registers
1538-1837. The transcripts of the parish registers 1538-1837 are available on microfiche
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 on microfilm, 1829-32, 1859-1904
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010