CARLTON CUM WILLINGHAM
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"CARLTON CUM WILLINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the
county of Cambridge, 8 miles to the south of Newmarket, its post town, and 5
miles south-east from the Six-mile Bottom and Dullingham stations, both on the
Cambridge and Newmarket railway. It is situated in a beautiful country on
the border of Suffolk. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, of
the value with the perpetual curacy of Willingham annexed, of £287, in the
patronage of the trustees of the late Rev. W. S. P. Wilder. The church,
which is a small ancient building, is dedicated to St. Peter, and contains
a monument to Sir Thomas Elliott, who died in 1546. The parochial charities
are of small value, and there is an infants' school with an endowment of £3
per annum. The Primitive Methodists have a small chapel here. Lord Dacre is
lord of the manor.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
See also the unrelated
Willingham Parish page."
"SIX MILE BOTTOM, is a hamlet in the parishes of Little Wilbraham, Bottisham,
Brinkley, Carlton cum Willingham, Swaffham Bulbeck, Westley Waterless, and Weston Colville.
It has a station on the Cambridge and Bury branch of the London and North Eastern railway.
There is a congregational chapel, erected in 1881, with 80 sittings, and a reading
room and library. There is also a recreation ground, pleasantly situated near the
railway station and enclosed by a double row of trees : a cross of rough granite
was erected in 1924 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great
War, 1914-18. Swyntord Paddocks is the residence of Capt. Malcolm Bollock M.B.E.,
Six Mile Bottom main page."
"WILLINGHAM, a chapelry in the parish of Carlton cum Willingham, hundred of Radfield,
county Cambridge, 5 miles south-east of Newmarket."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- St. Peter's Church, Carlton.
- "The church of St. Peter is a small but ancient building of rubble in the Early English
style, consisting of chancel and nave and a western turret containing 2 bells : there
are 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1600."
[Kelly's Directory- Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Transcriptions of
Banns, Baptisms, Marriages and Burials for the parish are to be found on the Carlton cum Willingham website.
- Church of England
- Carlton-Cum-Willingham, St Peter:
Records of baptisms 1588- circa 1594, 1610-17, 1712-15, 1726-2001, marriages 1617-42,
1652, 1712-15, 1726-1987, burials 1712-15, 1726-2001 and banns for 1754-1805, 1823-1992
reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1812
can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Transcripts are available for marriages
from the Bishop's Transcripts 1599-1812 and indexed transcriptions of baptisms 1588-1851,
marriages 1599-1837 and burials 1599-1812. Transcripts of the registers are available
on microfiche for the years 1588-1851 from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society bookstall.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015