[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"CAXTON is a parish, on Ermine street, the Roman road between London and York, end on the borders of Huntingdonshire; it is the head of a petty sessional division, in the union of Carton and Arrington, 2½ miles north-west from the Old North Road station on the Bedford and Cambridge line of the London, Midland and Scottish railway, about 12 west from Cambridge, 11½ north from Royston and 9½ east from St. Neots, in the hundred of Long Stowe, county court district of St. Neots, rural deanery of Bourn and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
The soil here is stiff and clayey, and the subsoil a stiff blue gault. The chief crops are wheat, oats and barley. The area is 2,242 acres; the population in 1921 was 398."