"CAXTON, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, in the county of Cambridge, 12 miles west of Cambridge, and 11 north of Royston railway station. It was formerly a consider-able town on Ermine Street, belonging to the families of Frevile, Burgoyne, D'Eschallers, and others, but is now a small agricultural village. Up to the middle of the last century it had a market, which was granted about the year 1247. It is still the head of a Poor-law Union, and of a registration district, but is included in the New County Court district of Cambridge. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £80, in the patronage of the Dean and Canons of Windsor, to whom the church was given in 1351, having belonged previously to the priory of Lewes; it is dedicated to St. Andrew, and possesses some old tombs. The Baptists have here a chapel, and there are National schools for both sexes. Matthew Paris, the historian, was born here. George Gaps, Esq., is lord of the manor. In this parish stands the workhouse of the Arrington and Caxton Union. Fairs are held on 5th March and 18th October."