Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CHATTERIS, a parish in the northern division of the hundred of WITCHFORD, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 8 miles (E. by N.) from Ramsey, contain^ ing 3283 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £ 10, and in the patronage of the Rev. Dr. Chatfield. The church is dedicated to St. Peter and St. Paul. There are places of worship for Particular Baptists and Wesleyan Methodists. The river Ouse forms a boundary of the parish. A Benedictine nunnery was founded and endowed, about the year 980, by Alfwen, wife of Earl Ethelstan, by the counsel of her brother Ednod, first abbot of Ramsey, who was. afterwards raised to the see of Dorchester, and murdered by the Danes in 1016: its revenue, at the dissolution, was estimated at £112. 3. 6. Chatteris is a franchise under the Bishop of Ely, who holds a court leet for appointing officers, in a house called the guildhall, given to the parish, with other premises and lands, producing together nearly £70 per annum, which is distributed amongst infirm old men and widows. There is a National school, supported by subscription, wherein from two to three hundred children of both sexes are instructed. At Hunny farm are the subterraneous remains of a chapel, supposed to have contained the bones of St. Huna. In 1757, on opening a tumulus near Somersham ferry, several human skeletons, military weapons, an urn, and a glass vase were found."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]