[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"CHATTERIS in Domesday Book written Cetriz and Cateriz, by some old authors Chateriz is a parish and market town with a station on the Wisbech and St. Ives branch of the Great Eastern railway, 71 miles from London by road and 83 by railway, 19 south from Wisbech, 25-and-a-half north-by-west from Cambridge, 10-and-three-quarters north-by-east from St. Ives and 12 north-west from the city of Ely by road, but 26-and-a-half by railway, in the Northern division of the county, hundred and union of North Witchford, in the Isle of Ely, petty sessional sub-division of Chatteris and county court district of March, and in the peculiar archidiaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely.
Under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1894 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), the town is now governed by an Urban District Council, having been from 1873 under the control of a Local Board: it is lighted with gas from works the property of the Chatteris Gas and Coke Co. Limited: the water supply is derived from wells.'
The soil is clay, loam and fen land; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, mangolds, carrots and potatoes. The land around has been rendered very productive by draining and gaulting. The area is 13,638 of land and 36 of water; rateable value, £26,813; the population in 1891 was 4,587."