GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

CHATTERIS

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"CHATTERIS, a parish and market town in the hundred of North Witchford, in the county of Cambridge, 26 miles north-west of Cambridge, and 7 south of March. It is a station on the Ely and Peterborough railway, and is situated on the river Ouse. Alwina, wife of Athelstan, and niece of King Edgar, founded a convent of Benedictines about A.D. 980, which was in Henry VIII.'s reign wholly suppressed. The place is mentioned in Domesday Survey under the name of Cateriz, or Cetriz. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £1,500, in the patronage of W. Hawkins, Esq. The church, dedicated to SS. Peter and Paul, is a handsome edifice. The General Baptists, Particular Baptists, Wesleyans, Independents, Primitive Methodists, High Calvinists, and Society of Friends have chapels, and there are National, British, girls' and infant schools. The town was made a market town in 1834; and a court-leet and petty sessions are held here. The Bishop of Ely is lord of the manor. A large number of Roman coins and curious relics have been found at various times, and not many years since part of the skeleton of an elephant. The market day is Friday."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Description and Travel

Directories

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014