Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"CHERRY HINTON, a parish in the hundred of Flendish, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles south-east of Cambridge, its post town. It is a station on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern line, and is pleasantly situated under the Gogmagog hills. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £164, in the patronage of Peter House, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice in the early English style, and contains monuments and an ancient font. The register, the earliest date of which is 1538, is in good preservation. Here are National schools for both sexes, with a small endowment. The charities amount to about £12 per annum. Not far from the village is the reservoir and engine-house of the Cambridge waterworks. Captain Pearce, St. Thomas's Hospital, and St. Peter's College hold the manorial rights. There are several beautiful seats, including Manorup-Hall, Rectory Farm Hall, Nether Hall, and the residence of J. Eakes, Esq. A pleasure fair is held in the first week of October.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The Census Records from 1841-1891 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. In addition the 1851 Census for Cherry Hinton is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Abstract of Population 1821 - Census Statistical Returns 1822 - Flendish Hundred - Cherry Hinton Parish - An extensive inclosure of land is assigned as the cause of increased Population in this Parish.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Andrew is a fine and highly interesting structure of stone and clunch, in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 5 bells: the chancel, of rich and beautiful Early English work, is lighted by eight lancet windows on each side, arranged in couplets: a cinquefoiled arcading, on banded shafts, extends along the north and south walls, and there is a double piscina and three graduated sedilia of very fine workmanship: a carved oak screen of Perpendicular date separates the chancel from the nave, which has Early English arcades: there is a plain, circular font on a pedestal, and several monuments to the Serocold family: the nave and aisles were thoroughly restored in 1880, under the superintendence of the late Sir G. Gilbert Scott R.A. architect, and the chancel was restored six years later under the direction of Mr. J. T. Micklethwaite F.S.A. architect, the total cost amounting to £5,050: there are 275 sittings. The register dates from 1538, and is in good preservation.The living is a vicarage, net yearly value from 106 acres of glebe £170, with residence, in the gift of St. Peter's College, Cambridge, and held since 1895 by the Rev. Arthur Hughes M.A. of that college. The vicarage was built in 1818 by the Rev. Bewick Bridge M.A. then vicar, and considerably enlarged about 1866. The Baptist chapel, built in 1883, has 300 sittings." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
- Church of England
- Cherry Hinton, St. Andrew: Records of baptisms 1538-1981, marriages 1538-1642, 1654-1980, burials 1538-1682, 1692-1970 and banns for 1754-1921, 1952-80 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1681, 1699, 1712-83 and 1799-1851 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1538-1908, marriages 1538-1912, burials 1538-1682, 1692-1876 and transcripts for baptisms 1813-37 and burials 1815-1837; copies of indexed transcripts for marriages 1538-1837 reside in Huntingdon Record Office.
- Cherry Hinton, Saint John the Evangelist: Records of baptisms 1893-1943, marriages 1897-1939, burials 1947-59 and banns for 1897-1967 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
- The Cherry Hinton Village website aims to give local information, details of events and news items to the residents and to visitors to the village.
- Cherry Hinton, Saint John the Evangelist was an ecclesiastical parish formed from Cherryhinton and Trumpington in 1897. The civil parish was absorbed into the borough of Cambridge, 1912, and 1934.
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1757-63, 1789-1837, 1880-92 and 1911-48.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cherry Hinton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL484565 (Lat/Lon: 52.186744, 0.169395), Cherry Hinton which are provided by: