Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CHERRY HINTON, a parish in the hundred of FLENDISH, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2 miles (E. by S.) from Cambridge, containing 474 inhabitants. The living is a discharged vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £9. 14. 7., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Peter House, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, stands near the Gogmagog hills:, the valley beneath was formerly noted for an abundance of cherry trees growing in it; it is now the principal spot in the county where saffron is cultivated. Various fossil teeth, and vertebrae of fish, are found in the chalk pits here."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]