"CHERRY HINTON, a parish in the hundred of Flendish, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles south-east of Cambridge, its post town. It is a station on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern line, and is pleasantly situated under the Gogmagog hills. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £164, in the patronage of Peter House, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is an ancient edifice in the early English style, and contains monuments and an ancient font. The register, the earliest date of which is 1538, is in good preservation. Here are National schools for both sexes, with a small endowment. The charities amount to about £12 per annum. Not far from the village is the reservoir and engine-house of the Cambridge waterworks. Captain Pearce, St. Thomas's Hospital, and St. Peter's College hold the manorial rights. There are several beautiful seats, including Manorup-Hall, Rectory Farm Hall, Nether Hall, and the residence of J. Eakes, Esq. A pleasure fair is held in the first week of October.