[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"CHESTERTON, a parish in the hundred of CHESTERTON, county of CAMBRIDGE, 1 mile (N. E.) from Cambridge, containing 1137 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated ia the king's books at £10. 12. S., and in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Trinity College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Andrew, is principally in the decorated and later styles of English architecture. The name signifies the town next the castle or camp, Arbury camp being at a small distance from the village, three parts of the vallum of which are still re- maining, enclosing a square area of nearly six acres, in which many Roman coins have been found, particularly a silver one with the head of Romulus on the obverse, and on the reverse Castor and Pollux on horseback. It appears that every one who kept a fire here, in 1154, was bound to pay & fly farthing, as it was called, to St. Peter's altar in the cathedral church of Ely; and the fourth farthing arising from this town and that of Grantchester used to be paid to the castle of Norwich, by the name of Ely ward penny, because that place received it before. In 1729, £5 per annum, out of money left to the parish for charitable uses, was appropriated, by a decree of the court of Chancery, towards the education of ten poor children. The remains of Cambridge castle are in this parish, and the river Cam runs through it."