Geographical and Historical information from the year 1900.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"CHESTERTON is a parish and village, and the head of a poor-law union, giving its name to a hundred, and a portion of the parish, under the Boundary Act, 1868, has been included in the parliamentary borough of Cambridge. The village is a long, straggling place on the north bank of the river Cam, a mile and a half north from Cambridge station, in the Western division of the county, petty sessional division and county court division of Cambridge, and in the rural deanery of Cambridge and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The parish was constituted a Local Government District in 1880, but under the provisions of the Local Government Act, 1885 (56 and 57 Vict. c. 73), an Urban District Council has been established, and the parish divided into two wards, called the East and West. It is lighted with gas and supplied with water by the Cambridge Gas and Water Companies.
The soil is light, and the subsoil gravel and blue clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, beans, root and seeds. The area is 2,778 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value, £28,575; the population in 1871 was 4,102, in 1881, 5,706 and in 1891 7,526, including 153 officers and inmates in the workhouse and 84 in H.M. Prison. The population of Chesterton St. Andrew's in 1891 was 1,828, that of Chesterton St. Luke's being then 5,698."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]