Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"CHEVELEY, a parish in the hundred of Cheveley, in the county of Cambridge, 3 miles south-east of Newmarket. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £704, in the patronage of the Rev. J. T. Bennet. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient stone edifice. There is an endowed free school for boys. The charities amount to about £28 per annum. The Duke of Rutland is lord of the manor, and owner of Cheveley Park."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Mary and the Holy Host of Heaven is an ancient cruciform building of flint in the Decorated and Perpendicular styles, and consists of chancel, nave, transepts, south porch and a central tower containing a clock and 5 bells; there is a magnificently carved alabaster reredos, and several tablets of the 18th century to the Hand and Folkes families: the organ was given by Miss Ellen Priscilla Bradley in 1874 and the pulpit by the parishioners: the church was restored in the year 1873, at a cost of £4,000, and again in 1902 by Col. H. L. B. McCalmont on his return from South Africa, at a cost of about £3,000: an alabaster tablet, in memory of Col. McCalmont, to which all the parishioners contributed, was erected in 1903; there are about 300 sittings. The register dates from the year 1559."
- "There is a Congregational chapel, erected in 1868, having 120 sittings." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Cheveley, St. Mary and the Holy Host of Heaven: Records of baptisms 1560-1902, marriages 1559-1961, burials 1559-1885 and banns 1755-1842, 1853-1965 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1567-1641 and 1663-1836 can be found in the Suffolk Record Office and copies on microfilm for 1567-1641 and 1663-99 can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1560-1902, marriages 1559-1886 and burials 1559-1837. The parish register transcripts, 1599-1902, are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Methodist Church
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Cheveley which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL682608 (Lat/Lon: 52.219689, 0.460895), Cheveley which are provided by:
- "Opposite the entrance to the church is a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18." [Kelly's Directory - 1929] The Cheveley Hinton War Memorial has been transcribed and and the men researched.
- Two courts cover Cheveley as follows: Archdeaconry Court of Sudbury: Jurisidiction in various parishes including Cheveley which were in the diocese of Norwich until they were transferred to the diocese of Ely in 1837.
- Records are held at the Suffolk Record Office covering Wills, 1439-1857, administrations, 1544-46, 1568-93, 1605-12, 1630-1858, inventories, 1573-76, 1617, 1625, 1640, 1650-1747. Index to wills to 1535 are published in Proceedings of Suffolk Institute of Archaeology , volume 12 and of all records to 1700 in the Index Library of the British Records Society, volumes 95 and 96.
- Consistory Court of Norwich: Records are held at the Norfolk Record Office. Wills 1370-1857, administrations, 1370-1499, 1549-1640, 1666-1857, inventories, 1584-1846. There is an index to wills covering 1370-1857 published by the Norfolk Record Society, volumes 16, 21, 34, 38 and 47.
- "The endowment for a Free Grammar School for boys, now producing a yearly income of about £80, derived from lands in the parishes of Cheveley & Worlington, Suffolk, devised by John Raye, of Cheveley, in 1552, & by Lord Dover in 1709, is administered by governors under a scheme approved by the Charity Commissioners & portions were assigned for the maintenance of the elementary school & free scholarships: the old Grammar school building & master's house, presented by John Henry, 5th Duke of Rutland K.G. d. 20 Jan. 1857, were purchased by the late Col. H. L. B. McCalmont, & the purchase money was incorporated with the other property of the charity." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1710, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.