Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Coates And Eastrea
COATES and EASTREA
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"COATES and EASTREA, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed from Whittlesey in 1850. The former 2¾ miles east, the latter 2 miles east from Whittlesey station on the Peterborough and Wisbech branch of the London and North Eastern railway, were formed into an ecclesiastical parish July 9, 1850, from the civil parish of Whittlesey, under the provisions of the "Whittlesey Improvement Act, 1849" (12 and 13 Vict. c. 32, sec. 9); they are in the North Witchford hundred, Whittlesey union and petty sessional divi-sion, Peterborough county court district, rural deanery of March, archdeaconry of Wishech and diocese of Ely.
The Public Hall, erected in 1890 by public subscription, at a cost, including fittings, of £370, is of brick with an open timber roof, and measures, within, 40 by 23 feet; the management is vested in the trustees and a local committee. The soil is chiefly a black loam ; subsoil, clay or gravel. The chief crops are wheat and potatoes. The area is 5,300 acres; the population in 1921 was 1,402.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1840, is a structure of brick, consisting of nave, aisles and a tower on the north side, with spire, and containing a clock and one bell: in 1902 the tower was partially restored: in 1874 and 1890 the church was thoroughly restored, reseated with open benches and aisles added, at a total cost of £1,050, and now affords 510 sittings. The register dates from the year 1850." "There are Wesleyan chapels at Coates and Eastrea and a Baptist chapel at Turves."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Coates and Eastrea: All registers are still held at the church from its inception in 1850. The records for baptisms, marriages and burials 1850-75 are on microfilm plus photocopies of baptisms and burials 1850-1921, marriages 1850-1920 and banns 1850-81 and these reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishops Transcripts for the years 1855-58 reside at the Cambridge University Libraray. Index transcripts of baptisms 1850-1921, narriages 1850-1920 and burials 1850-1921 reside at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Coates and Eastrea which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL307978 (Lat/Lon: 52.562310, -0.073269), Coates and Eastrea which are provided by: