COATES and EASTREA
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"COATES and EASTREA, is an ecclesiastical parish, formed from
Whittlesey in 1850.
The former 2¾ miles east, the latter 2 miles east from
Whittlesey station on the Peterborough and Wisbech branch of the London and North
Eastern railway, were formed into an ecclesiastical parish July 9, 1850, from the
civil parish of Whittlesey, under the provisions of the "Whittlesey Improvement
Act, 1849" (12 and 13 Vict. c. 32, sec. 9); they are in the North Witchford
hundred, Whittlesey union and petty sessional divi-sion, Peterborough county court
district, rural deanery of March, archdeaconry of Wishech and diocese of Ely.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
The Public Hall, erected in 1890 by public subscription, at a cost, including fittings,
of £370, is of brick with an open timber roof, and measures, within, 40 by 23 feet;
the management is vested in the trustees and a local committee. The soil is chiefly
a black loam ; subsoil, clay or gravel. The chief crops are wheat and potatoes. The
area is 5,300 acres; the population in 1921 was 1,402.
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of the Holy Trinity, erected in 1840, is a structure of brick, consisting
of nave, aisles and a tower on the north side, with spire, and containing a clock
and one bell: in 1902 the tower was partially restored: in 1874 and 1890 the church
was thoroughly restored, reseated with open benches and aisles added, at a total
cost of £1,050, and now affords 510 sittings. The register dates from the year 1850."
"There are Wesleyan chapels at Coates and Eastrea and a Baptist chapel at Turves."
[Kelly's Directory - Cambridgeshire - 1929]
- Church of England
- Coates and Eastrea:
All registers are still held at the church from its inception in 1850. The records
for baptisms, marriages and burials 1850-75 are on microfilm plus photocopies of
baptisms and burials 1850-1921, marriages 1850-1920 and banns 1850-81 and these reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishops Transcripts for the years 1855-58 reside
at the Cambridge University Libraray. Index transcripts of baptisms 1850-1921, narriages
1850-1920 and burials 1850-1921 reside at the Cambridgeshire Archives.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015