Open a form to report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"COLDHAM is an ecclesiastical parish, formed July 10th, 1874, from Fridaybridqe in the civil parish of Elm; itis in the petty sessional division, union, county court district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely, and is 7 miles south from Wisbech, 3 north-west from Fridaybridge and 4 north from March, with a station on the Peterborough and Wisbech branch of the London and North Eastern railway. The parish includes Pen Tree Hill, Coldham, Stagsholt and Graysmoor and extends within 2 miles of March.
The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes and brown and white mustard and some land in pasture. The population in 1921 was 425."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- The Census Records for Coldham are listed under Elm from 1841-1891 and can be found in the Cambridgeshire Archives and also in the Wisbech Library. In addition the 1851 Census for Elm is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- St. Ethelreda's Church, Coldham.
- "The church of St. Ethelreda, a building of stone in the Early English style, was completed in 1876, at a cost of £2,700, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch, vestry and a small western turret containing 2 bells: the organ cost £250: the internal fittings are of oak: there is a small stained window on the south side of the chancel, and another on the north side in memory of Francis William Gordon Woodgate; a memorial window was erected at the east end in June, 1887, at a cost of £120, to Samuel Jones Loyd, Baron Overstone, a benefactor to this church, who died Nov. 17th, 1883, and another in memory of William Cutlack Little by his widow : there arc 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1876."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Coldham, St Ethelreda: Records of marriages 1876-1976 are held at Wisbech Museum. All registers from 1876 are held at the church.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Coldham which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TF434027 (Lat/Lon: 52.603135, 0.116077), Coldham which are provided by: