[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"COLDHAM is an ecclesiastical parish, formed July 10th, 1874, from Fridaybridqe in
the civil parish of Elm; itis in the petty sessional division, union, county court
district, rural deanery and archdeaconry of Wisbech and diocese of Ely, and is 7
miles south from Wisbech, 3 north-west from Fridaybridge and 4 north from March,
with a station on the Peterborough and Wisbech branch of the London and North Eastern
railway. The parish includes Pen Tree Hill, Coldham, Stagsholt and Graysmoor and
extends within 2 miles of March.
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
The soil is loamy; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats, potatoes
and brown and white mustard and some land in pasture. The population in 1921 was
- The Census Records for Coldham are listed under Elm from 1841-1891 and can be found
in the Cambridgeshire Archives and also in the Wisbech Library. In addition the 1851
Census for Elm is available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- St. Ethelreda's Church, Coldham.
- "The church of St. Ethelreda, a building of stone in the Early English style, was
completed in 1876, at a cost of £2,700, and consists of chancel, nave, south porch,
vestry and a small western turret containing 2 bells: the organ cost £250: the internal
fittings are of oak: there is a small stained window on the south side of the chancel,
and another on the north side in memory of Francis William Gordon Woodgate; a memorial
window was erected at the east end in June, 1887, at a cost of £120, to Samuel Jones
Loyd, Baron Overstone, a benefactor to this church, who died Nov. 17th, 1883, and
another in memory of William Cutlack Little by his widow : there arc 200 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1876."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Coldham, St Ethelreda:
Records of marriages 1876-1976 are held at Wisbech Museum. All registers from 1876
are held at the church.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014