"COMBERTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 5½ miles north-west of Harston, and 4 south-west of Cambridge. The manor was anciently held by the peculiar tenure of king's falcon-keeper and baker. The parish is watered by the Bourn brook; and contains a section of common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £153, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure in the perpendicular style of architecture. The charities amount to £35. Here is an endowed National school for both sexes. Coprolites are found lying near the surface. G. Foster, Esq., is lord of the manor."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Mary is an edifice of stone in the Early English and later styles, and consists of chancel, clerestoried nave of five bays, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing 4 bells: the chancel arch and south arcade of the nave are Early English, the north aisle and clerestory Perpendicular and the tower Decorated; the interior is seated with open benches, elaborately carved with tracery; the rood stairs and doorway remain and there is an octagonal Early English font; the church was repaired in 1850 and restored in 1877-8 by the Ecclesiastical Commissioners and has since been further restored in 1884-5; the total cost amounting to £981: there are 300 sittings, 240 being free. The register of baptisms dates from the year 1564; marriages, 1560; burials, 1561." [Kelly's Directory - 1900]
Comberton, St Mary's: Records of baptisms 1564-1924, marriages 1563-1837, burials 1561-1915 and banns 1755-1967 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. These parish records are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1875 can be found in the Cambridge University Lbrary. Indexed transcripts to the parish records for baptims 1564-1924, marriages 1560-1924 and burials 1561-1915 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives and indexed transcripts of marriages 1560-1837 also reside in Huntingdon Record Office.
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1707, 1798 is on microfilm, 1829-33 and 1880-1948.