GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

COMBERTON

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"COMBERTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 5½ miles north-west of Harston, and 4 south-west of Cambridge. The manor was anciently held by the peculiar tenure of king's falcon-keeper and baker. The parish is watered by the Bourn brook; and contains a section of common. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Ely, value £153, in the patronage of Jesus College, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is a stone structure in the perpendicular style of architecture. The charities amount to £35. Here is an endowed National school for both sexes. Coprolites are found lying near the surface. G. Foster, Esq., is lord of the manor."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014