Geographical and Historical information from the year 1929.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
"COTON is a parish, a quarter of a mile off the road from Cambridge to St. Neots, 4 miles west from Cambridge station in the hundred of Wetherley, union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of Barton and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely.
In the village stands a monolith, 7 feet high, but whether a village cross or a boundary stone is uncertain. The Cambridge Preservation Society, John Hunt esq. and King's, Queen's, St. John's and Corpus Christi Colleges, Cambridge, are the principal landowners. A reading room was opened in 1913. The soil is clayey; subsoil, gault; there is also a greensand stratum, which crops out and yields ex-cellent water. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans. The area is 970 acres; the population in 1921 was 340."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]