GENUKI Home page    Genuki Contents GenUKI
Contents
    Cambridgeshire Cambridgeshire   NeighboursNearby places

COTON

[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]

"COTON, a parish in the hundred of Wetherley, in the county of Cambridge, 2 miles west of Cambridge, and 3½ from the Cambridge station on the Great Eastern railway. It is a small agricultural village. The living is a rectory* in the diocese of Ely, value £213 in the patronage of Catherine Hall, Cambridge. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, stands in the centre of the village. It is in the early English style of architecture, the chancel being Norman. The church consists of nave, aisles, tower with spires and two porches. It contains the tomb of Downes, who translated the Apocrypha. The charities amount to £37 per annum. Here has recently been built a National school for boys and girls. The provost and Fellows of King's College are lords of a manor in this parish, but the Master and Fellows of St. Catherine's College are lords paramount."

[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson 2010

Cemeteries

Census

Churches

Church History

Church Records

Gazetteers

Military History

Taxation

This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010


This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers, please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2014