[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835] (unless otherwise stated)
"COTTENHAM, a parish in the hundred of CHESTERTON, locally in that of Northstow, county of CAMBRIDGE, 6 miles (N.) from Cambridge, containing 1488 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £36. 15., and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to All Saints. There is a place of worship for Particular Baptists. The dairies, which are numerous in this parish and neighbourhood, are famed for producing excellent cheese. The adventurers' land, chiefly enclosed from the old river Ouse' and the common adjoining, was sometimes subject to inundation, but, in consequence of late improvements, this has been in a great measure prevented. A branch of the old Ouse passes near the village, and meets the river Cam below Streatham. It was to this village that Geoffrey, abbot of Crowland, sent the monks who first established a regular course of academical education at Cambridge: in 1676 two-thirds of it were destroyed by fire. A charity school was founded by Mrs. Catherine Pepys, in 1703, who gave a house for a schoolmaster, and £100 to purchase land/directing the rent to be paid as a salary for teaching sixteen poor children; and, in 1728, Mrs. Alice Rogers augmented this endowment with £10 per annum, for five more, and the same sum annually for apprenticing poor children, a bequest for the same purpose having been previously made, in 1671, by Mr. Moreton, who gave a moiety of an estate in the parish of St. Andrew, Holborn: in 1715, Mrs. Jane Bingham gave £15 per annum for the like use. This is the birthplace of Archbishop Tenison, author of several theological works, who died in 1715."