[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1900]
"COTTENHAM is a large parish and village, 4 miles north from the Histon station on the St. Ives and Cambridge branch of the Great Eastern railway, 2-and-a-half miles south-west from Oakington station on the same line and 6-and-a-half north from Cambridge, in the Western division of the county, hundred and union of Chesterton, petty sessional division and county court district of Cambridge, rural deanery of North Stowe and archdeaconry and diocese of Ely. The principal street is lighted with gas from works the property of the Cottenham Gas Co. Limited.
This was the birthplace of Thomas Tenison, archbishop of Canterbury, 1694-1715. The soil is various; subsoil, loamy clay. The chief crops are wheat, barley, oats and beans, fruit and vegetable produce. The area is 7,224 acres; rateable value, £10,495; the population in 1891 was 2,517."