[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"COVENEY, a parish in the hundred of South Witchford, in the county of
Cambridge, 3½ miles north-west of Ely, and 3 north-east of Sutton. It contains the
chapelry of Manea, and the hamlet of Wardy Hill. The living is a rectory*
in the diocese of Ely, value with the curacy of Manea annexed, £809, in the
patronage of Lora Rokeby. The church, dedicated to St. Peter, is a small
structure. Conyers Middleton was once rector of this parish. The charities
amount to £45 per annum. The Baptists have a chapel at Hayhead, and the
Wesleyans a place of worship at Wardy Hill. There is a National school with
a small endowment."
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
"MANEA, a chapelry in the parish of Coveney, hundred of South Witchford,
county Cambridge, 7 miles north-east of Chatteris, its post town, and 8 north-west of
Ely. It is a station on the Ely and Peterborough railway. It is situated on
the Old Bedford river, and is chiefly agricultural. The living is a curacy
annexed to the rectory* of Coveney, in thc diocese of Ely. The church is a
small neat structure, once held by Conyers Middleton. There is an endowed
National school for both sexes. The Wesleyans have a place of worship. Lord
Rokeby is lord of the manor. (See also
Manea Parish pages)"
"WARDY-HILL, a hamlet in the parish of Coveney, county Cambridge, 5 miles
north-west of Ely."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. Peter ad Vincula is a building of stone, dating from the 13th
century, and consisting of chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower
containing one bell : in the chancel is a trefoil-headed double piscina, and the
north wall of the nave contains an ancient stoup; the splendid reredos of carved
wood, presented by Athelstan Riley esq. is probably 15th century North-German workmanship,
and the central panel contains a remarkably fine representation of the "Crucifixion,"
the figure on the rood was carved by peasants at Ober Ammergau : there are some interesting,
though rude, carved bench ends, dating from about 1400 : the pulpit, dated 1705,
has paintings of Our Lord and the Four Evangelists, and is of Danish origin. The
church was restored in 1897, at a cost of £1,000 : a new rood screen, the design
of the Rev. C. F. G. Turner, rector 1892-1914, was erected, and the roof, which had
previously been thatched with reeds, was recovered with grey Westmoreland slates.
There are 160 sittings, free. The register dates from the year 1676."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Coveney, St Peter's:
Records of baptisms 1676-1923, marriages 1704-1970, burials 1677-1912 and banns
for 1763-1936 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.The Bishop's Transcripts for
the years 1600-1640 and 1662-1839 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Indexed transcripts exist in Cambridgeshire Archives for marriages 1600-1809.
- Methodist Church
- WARDY HILL (or Wady Hill), 1 mile northwest, is a hamlet of Coveney.
- WAYHEAD, another
hamlet, is 1 mile north from the parish church.
MANEA, formerly a chapelry of this parish, but now a distinct parish, is given under a separate heading.
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1750-1948; 1798 is on microfilm at Huntingdon
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
If you find an error (small or large) in the text or a bad link, please drop me a line via
my error reporting form.
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2010
[Last updated at 14.29 on Wednesday, 02 October 2013, by Colin Hinson. ©2010]