Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
[Transcribed from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
by Colin Hinson ©2013
"CROXTON, a parish in the hundred of Longstow, in the county of Cambridge, 3 miles north-west of Caxton, its post town, and 12 west of Cambridge. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £185, in the patronage of G. 0. Newton, Esq. The tithes were commuted in 1811. The church, dedicated to St. James, contains monuments of the Leeds family, and on the north door a carving of the "Virgin and Child" in bold relief. The charities amount to £35 per annum. G. 0. Newton, Esq., is lord of the manor, and resides at Croxton Park."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of St. James is an ancient building of stone in the Perpendicular style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, north porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 6 bells: there are several monuments to the Leeds and Newton families: affixed to the north door is wooden carving, in very bold relief, of the Virgin and child: the north porch was erected in 1907 by the Misses C. and F. Cochrane as a memorial to their father: numerous carved stones, found when the buttress was removed, were built into the porch: in 1921 a handsome rood screen was erected in memory of Capt. Aubrey Charles Hill: the church affords 200 sittings, of which half are free. In the churchyard is a cross, erected in 1920 as a memorial to the men of this parish who fell in the Great War, 1914-18. The register dates from the year 1535." [Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
- Church of England
- Croxton, St. James: Records of baptisms 1538-1936, marriages 1538-1957, burials 1538-2001 and banns 1755-1813, 1824-6, 1868-74 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1867 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1538-1890, marriages 1538-1892 and burials 1538-1890. Parish register transcripts of Croxton, St. James, 1538-1890, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Huntingdon Record Office for the St. Neots Wesleyan Circuit of which Croxton is part.
- Primitive Methodist Church: Records exist at the Bedford Record Office for the St. Neots Primitive Circuit of which Croxton is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Croxton which are provided by:
You can see maps centred on OS grid reference TL242597 (Lat/Lon: 52.221475, -0.183223), Croxton which are provided by:
- Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-1948.