Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"CROXTON, a parish in the hundred of LONGSTOW, county of CAMBRIDGE, 4 miles (W. N. W.) from Caxton, containing 225 inhabitants. The living is a rectory, in the archdeaconry and diocese of Ely, rated in the king's books at £14. 8. 6£., endowed with £200 royal bounty, and in the patronage of Sir G. W. Leeds, Bart. The church is dedicated to St. James. A school has been recently built by Sir G. W. Leeds, Bart,, for children of Croxton, Eltisley, and the adjoining parishes; which is endowed with £.6 per annum bequeathed by John Leeds, Esq., in 1705."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]