"CROYDON-CUM-CLOPTON, (or Croydon or Clapton) a parish in the hundred of Armingford, in the county of Cambridge, 4½ miles south of Caxton, and 6 north-west of Royston. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value with the rectory of Clayton annexed, £449, in the patronage of J. F. Gape, Esq., who is lord of the manor. The church is dedicated to All Saints. A commodious National school was built in 1858. Coprolites are found here in abundance.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of All Saints is described in the decree of the Bishop of Ely for the union of the two parishes, A.D. 1561, as "ampla et ornata," but seems to have been reduced; it is a structure of brick and stone, in the Perpendicular style, and consists of chancel, nave, aisles and transepts; the chancel was repaired during the late incumbency, and new windows inserted; that at the east end is stained, representing The Institution of the Lord's Supper, in memory of the wife of the late rector; and one on either side of the chancel is likewise stained: subjects - The Adoration of the Magi, to Rev. R.S.B. Sandilands, late rector, and The Anointing of Jesus' feet by Mary, to his sister. The register dates from the year 1672." [Kelly's Directory Cambridgeshire - 1883]
Croydon with Clopton, All Saints: Records of baptisms 1672-1939, marriages 1674-1990, burials 1672-1915 and banns 1755-1811 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1600-49, 1660-83, 1694, 1712-81, 1795, 1813-46 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms and burials 1599-1845, and marriages 1599-1837. The parish record transcripts for All Saints 1599-1845 are available on microfiche from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1810-1948.