Geographical and Historical information from the year 1912.
[Transcribed and edited information mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1912]
"DODDINGTON is a parish, formerly comprising the chapelry and market town of March and the hamlets of Benwick and Wimblington; but by an Act of Parliament passed in 1856, called "Doddington Rectory Division Act" (19 & Vict. C. 1), which came into operation on the death of a former Rector, in Nov. 1868, these places are now distinct parishes; it is in the Northern division of the county, hundred and union of North Witchford, Isle of Ely, petty sessional division and county court district of March, and in the peculiar archdeaconal jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely. The village is on the main road between March and Chatteris, equi-distant 4 miles from each place, and 1¼ miles south-west from Wimblington station on the Cambridge, St. Ives and Wisbech branch of the Great Eastern railway. The parish is supplied with water by the Wisbech waterworks."
The soil is clay and fen; subsoil, clay. The chief crops are potatoes, wheat, beans, oats and roots. The area is 7,037 acres of land and 17 of water; rateable value, £17,373; the population in 1901 was 1,486, including 8 officers and 124 inmates in the North Witchford Workhouse."
[Description(s) transcribed by Martin Edwards ©2003 and later edited by Colin Hinson ©2010]
[mainly from Kelly's Directory of Cambridgeshire 1912]