[Transcribed and edited information mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"DRY DRAYTON, a parish in the hundred of Chesterton, in the county of
Cambridge, 3 miles south-west of Oakington station on the Great Eastern line, and
5½ north-west of Cambridge, its post town. The village is small, and wholly
agricultural. The land is chiefly arable, and the soil a stiff clay. The
living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £321, in the patronage of
the Rev. Dr. Smith. The church is a Gothic structure, dedicated to SS.
Peter and Paul, and contains a brass of a man in armour. The tithes were
commuted for land and a money payment, under the Enclosure Act of 1809. The
parochial charities amount to about £23 per annum, £13 of which goes to
Haslop's free school.
[Transcribed mainly from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland 1868]
During the 1950s,
it was realised that the number of houses needed in South Cambridgeshire
was such that it could not be absorbed by the city or the existing villages without
compromising their essential characters. A number of new villages were therefore
essential, and it was decided by the County Council to site the first of these on
350 acres of Bar House Farm in the parish of Dry Drayton north west of the city.
Work began on the site in November 1965, and the first residents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert
Burry moved in on May 24th 1967. The primary school was finished by the end of 1967,and
it opened with two teachers, Mr. Bill Norton, the headmaster and Mrs. Pauline Stelmaszuk,
plus 26 children in May the following year. Seven of the 13 shops in The Mall, the
shopping precinct, opened during 1968- 69. A unique and novel feature was that all
residents would contribute towards a Village Trust which would undertake the provision
of a Village hall as well as the maintenance of communal areas. Bar hill finally
came of age as a village in May 1969 when it had grown sufficiently to warrant a
Parish Council of five members."
by Colin Hinson ©2010
- The Monumental Inscriptions in the graveyard of SS. Peter and Paul for the years
1710-1976 are recorded in the Cambridge Records Office.
- Here are photographs of Churches etc. in the parish:
- The following Churches have their own websites:
- "The church of SS. Peter and Paul is a building of stone in the Early Perpendicular
style, consisting of chancel, nave of three bays, aisles, north porch and a western
tower containing a clock and 5 bells: the north aisle was added and the whole fabric
restored in 1859, a the ancient tower in 1874, at a cost of £200: the stained east
window is a memorial to the Rev. Samuel Smith D.D. dean of Christ Church, Oxford,
prebendary of Durham and formerly rector here 1831-41, and has in a lunette at the
bottom a kneeling figure of the rector in surplice and hood: the organ, erected in
1881, was rebuilt in 1928 : near the west end are two windows of the Decorated period,
with transoms, and the south doorway is of the same date : there are 200 sittings.
The register of baptisms and burials dates from the year 1564; marriages, 1565."
- "There is Primitive Methodist chapel."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Church of England
- Dry Drayton, SS Peter and Paul:
Records of baptisms 1565-1972, marriages 1565-1990, burials 1565-1916 and banns
1754-1911 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms
1564-1851, marriages 1565-1839 and burials 1564-1851 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives.
The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1651, 1662-1795 and 1800-1849
can be found in the Cambridge University Library. The parish record transcripts for
SS. Peter and Paul 1564-1851 are available on microfiche from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
- "This parish has two manors - Coventry, held on a lease of lives under the Bishop
of Ely, and Crowlands, of which the Rev. Richard Winkfield M.A. is lord. The land
of the parish is vested in several proprietors, the chief of whom are T.F. Hooley
esq. and Trinity College, Cambridge."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
- Land Tax:
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1880-48.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010
This page is copyright. Do not copy any part of this page or website other than for personal
use or as given in the conditions of use.
If you have any suggestions for links to other sites that may be useful to other researchers,
please use this User Links page
Web-page generated by "DB2html" data-base extraction software ©Colin Hinson 2015