"DULLINGHAM, a parish in the hundred of Radfield, in the county of Cambridge, 4 miles south-west of Newmarket, its post town, and 10 north-east of Cambridge. It is a railway on the Cambridge and Newmarket branch of the Great Eastern line. The living is a vicarage* in the diocese of Ely, value £165, in the patronage of Mrs. Pigott. The church, dedicated to St. Mary, is an ancient edifice of stone, with tower and clock, and contains an ancient font, and monuments to the Jeaffreson family. The parochial charities amount to about £123 per annum, £100 of which is Leader's for clothing. The Wesleyan Methodists have a chapel, and there is an endowed school. Christopher William Robinson, Esq., is lord of the manor. Dullingham House and Hare Park are the principal residences."
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
" The church of St. Mary is an ancient building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, aisles, south porch and an embattled western tower containing a clock and 5 bells: in the chancel are several fine monuments to the Jeaffreson family, dating from 1733, one of which bears a recumbent figure in white marble of Lieut.-General Christopher Jeaffreson, d. 22 Oct. 1824 there is also a tablet to Henrietta, wife of Anthony 11th Viscount Gormanston, and subsequently of Lieut. General Christopher Jeaffreson, d. 6 Feb. 1826: the church was restored during the period 1884-90, at cost of £68o, and an organ provided at a further cost of £200, and in 1899 the oak roof was repaired at cost of £800 : a pulpit of Grecian marble was presented in 1905 by A. C. W. Dunn-Gardner esq, of Denston Hall, Suffolk, in memory of the late Mr. Dunn-Gardner: there are 250 sittings. The register dates from the year 1558."
"There is a small Wesleyan Methodist chapel." [Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Dullingham, St. Mary: Records of baptisms 1558-1908, marriages 1550-1962, burials 1558-1939 and banns 1754-1968 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Indexed transcripts for baptisms 1558-1873, marriages 1558-1869 and burials 1558-1869 also reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. Parish register transcripts of Dullingham, St Mary, 1558-1873, are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-1651, 1662-1795 and 1800-1849 can be found in the Cambridge University Library.
Wesleyan Methodist Church: Records exist at the Cambridgeshire Archives for the Mildenhall Wesleyan Circuit of which Dullingham is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of Dullingham which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1768, 1771, 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32, 1878-88 and 1931-48.