"DUXFORD, comprises the two ancient parishes of St. Peter and St. John, in the hundred of Whittlesford, in the county of Cambridge, 7 miles west of Linton, 9 south of Cambridge, its post town, and 11 mile from the Whittlesford station on the Cambridge line. It is situated on the river Cam, which occasionally overflows its banks and inundates the surrounding meadows. The impropriate tithes of St. John's parish have been commuted for a rent-charge of £354, and the vicarial for £146; the impropriate glebe contains 91 acres, and the vicarial 39 acres. The living of the former is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £429, in the patronage of Corpus Christi College, Cambridge; that of St. John is a discharged vicarage,* value £169, in the patronage of the Fellows of Clare Hall, Cambridge, who are impropriators. The church of St. Peter, supposed to have been built about the end of the 13th century, is principally Norman. St. John's is in a similar style, with Norman tower. The parochial charities produce about £30 per annum, of which £25 belongs to King's school. The register commences in 1684. There is a National school for both sexes. A priory once stood in this parish, a part of which is now the "Red Lion" inn. It is an object of great attraction, possessing some remains of antique carving. A barn is pointed out as standing on the site of the old chapel."