"St. John's church is an edifice in similar styles, and consists of chancel with chantry chapel, nave,
north aisle, south porch and a line central embattled tower of Norman date with a small spire and containing 6
bells : the chapel retains a piscina, and the rood stairs in the north-west angle of the tower are in very good
preservation: there are 220 sittings: the church is now only used for burial services. The register dates from the year 1685."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Duxford St John:
Records of baptisms 1684-1886, 1976, marriages 1684-1907, burials 1684-1934 and
banns 1754-1812, 1824-1894 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts
for the years 1599-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed
transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for Bishops's Transcript's 1599-1687,
baptisms, marriages, burials 1684-1851.
The parish registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759-63, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010