"St. Peter's church is a building of rubble, partly in the Norman style, and consists
of chancel, nave with clerestory, aisles, south porch and a lofty embattled western
tower with a small spire and containing a clock and one bell: there are several examples
of Early English work of the 13th century, including a beautiful "low-side window"
on the north side of the chancel, an aumbry, or locker, two good sedilia and a piscina:
the church was thoroughly restored during the period 1874-91, at a cost of £2,500,
and affords 150 sittings. The register dates from the year 1684."
[Kelly's Directory - 1929]
Duxford St Peter:
Records of baptisms 1684-1970, marriages 1684-1984, burials 1684-1996 and banns
1755-1812, 1824-1976 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts
for the years 1599-1857 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed
transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for Bishops's Transcript's 1599-1687,
baptisms, marriages, burials 1684-1851. Also transcribed and in the CRO are RAF Duxford
The parish registers are available in full transcript form, on microfiche, from the
Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers
in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside
in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1759, 1789-1846 and 1865-1948.
This page was previously maintained by Martin Edwards until 2010