"EAST HATLEY, a parish in the hundred of Armingford, county Cambridge, 5 miles south-west of Caxton, 7 north-west of Royston, and 7 east of Sandy railway station. The village is very small, and wholly agricultural. The surface is generally level, and the soil clayey. The living is a rectory in the diocese of Ely, value £175, in the patronage of the Master and Fellows of Downing College, Cambridge, who are lords of the manor and owners of the parish. The church is dedicated to St. Dennis.
[Transcribed and edited information from The National Gazetteer of Great Britain and Ireland - 1868]
"The church of St. Denis is a building of stone in the Early English style, consisting of chancel, nave, north and south porches and a western tower containing one bell: the chancel dates from 1260 and the nave from 1200: in 1874 the fabric was restored, new roofed and re-floored, open benches introduced and three stained windows erected, at a cost of £1,738: there are some memorials to the Castell family, the former owners of the estate, including an altar tomb to Mrs. Constance Castell, ob. 1610, and a tablet to the Rev. W. Cray Say, a former rector, d. 1751: the church affords 100 sittings. The register dates from the year 1678." [Kellys Directory of Cambridgeshire 1929]
The civil parish was united with Hatley St. George in 1956.
East Hatley, St. Denis: Records of baptisms 1585-1618, 1663-1979, marriages 1590-1616, 1675-1978, burials 1595-1618, 1664-1979 and banns 1757-1811, 1856-76 reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives. The Bishop's Transcripts for the years 1599-11641, 1660-1875 can be found in the Cambridge University Library. Indexed transcripts exist in the Cambridgeshire Archives for baptisms 1589-1812, marriages 1591-1837 and burials 1590-1812. Copies of the parish register transcripts 1585-1837, are available, on microfiche, from the Cambridgeshire Family History Society Publications list
Primitive Methodist Church: Records exist at the Bedford Record Office for the St. Neots Primitive Circuit of which East Hatley is part.
Description and Travel
You can see pictures of East Hatley which are provided by:
Land Tax: records were compiled afresh each year and contain the names of owners and occupiers in each parish, but usually there is no address or place name. These records reside in the Cambridgeshire Archives for the years 1798 (on microfilm), 1829-32 and 1946-1948.