Report problems or contribute information
We are in the process of upgrading the site to implement a content management system.
Elm, Cambridgeshire, England. Geographical and Historical information from 1835.
Geographical and Historical information from the year 1835.
[Transcribed information from A Topographical Dictionary of England - Samuel Lewis - 1835]
(unless otherwise stated)
"ELM, a parish in the hundred of WISBECH, Isle of ELY, county of CAMBRIDGE, 2 miles (S. S.B.) from Wisbeach, containing 1368 inhabitants. The living is a vicarage to which the curacy of Emneth is annexed, in the peculiar jurisdiction of the Bishop of Ely, rated in the king's books at £14. 15. 10., and in the patronage of the Rector of Elm with Emneth; the rectory is a sinecure, rated in the king's books at £ 17, and in the patronage of the Bishop of Ely. The church is dedicated to All Saints. Thomas Squire, in 1689, bequeathed a school-room with a house and lands, now producing about £50 a year, for teaching poor children."
[Description(s) transcribed by Mel Lockie ©2010]